The project is divided into a software and a hardware part.
The hardware is based on the Google Cardboard Version 2.0, but changes were made to realize eye tracking. On one hand, the design was modified so the required eye tracking cameras could be attached and, on the other hand, the cardboard could be used as a head-mounted display by corresponding holder.
To successfully build the required hardware you will need:
- Smartphone min. Android Version 4.4 Kitkat (Prefered Nexus 5)
- PC Windows 10 or Mac
- Modified cardboard (based on Google Cardboard)
- Circuit boards with IR-LEDs
- USB cameras for eye tracking
On the software side you will need:
- Our framework
- Pupil Labs for eye tracking (https://github.com/pupil-labs/pupil) Version: 0.9.1.3
- Unity Personal (https://store.unity.com/) Version: 5.5.1f
The following figure shows the preliminary schematic structure: