On this page, you can learn how to build our product. The main part of our product is a modified Google cardboard which is made of paperboard. It can be easily build with the help of our step-by-step tutorial. Beside the cardboard, you will need a camera and a circuit board with infrared LEDs to light the eyes for the camera image. If you want to do binocular eye tracking, you will need two cameras and circuit boards. The circuit board can be etched or can be produced by a perforated grid board. The following components are required for the circuit:Next you will need to cut the cardboard with a laser cutter. First of all, you’ll need a suitable cardboard to cut out the template. The template is designed for laser cutters, but it’s possible to cut it out with a scissor. To cut our templates properly with the laser cutter you will need to follow those instructions:
- grid board or etched board
- 6 IR-LEDs with a beam angle of 20 degrees and a wavelength of 850nm
- 13 ohm resistance
- micro USB-connector
- external power source by micro USB cable (approx. 30cm)
Figure 1: Schematic of the circuit boards
Figure 2: Left: bottom of the etched board, right: top of the etched board
Figure 3: Equipped circuit boards on the USB cameras
- Use suitable cardboard for your laser cutter. Make sure that the cardboard does not have creases or dent. We are recommending a thickness of 1.0mm. Ideally, the cardboard has a thickness between 0.5mm and 1.0mm and is not coated. In addition, it should have a thickness of around 600g/m².
- The thickness of the lines within the template are 0.001inches. Certain parts of the original are engraved, they are thicker (0.01inches) than the rest of the original lines.
- In addition, ensure that the settings of your laser cutter have been adjusted properly in regard of thickness.